Planning Help

Whilst making a planning application (i.e. filling out the relevant forms) is a relatively easy process, knowing how to ‘play the game’ can be the difference between your planning application being accepted or declined.

When you need planning permission

Before you start any major building work, you should always ask the planning department at your local council if you need planning permission. Whether or not your development needs permission depends on a number of factors:

  • the kind of building work you are doing
  • the details of your building work
  • the scale of your building work
  • the location of your property

This is where the experts at KHL can take care of all planning requirements to leave you to relax and enjoy the thought of your brand new extension!!!

Our team of architects and surveyors will take care of the whole process in gaining your planning permission from start to finish. You will be advised of costs after our initial consultation so there will be no hidden surprises.

Difference between Building Regulations and Planning Permission

It is generally realised that a form of permission is required for building work or alterations of properties. However, it may not always be clear how the Planning and Building Regulations approval regimes differ.

You may also have responsibilities under the construction health and safety regulations.

Building Regulations set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings. They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided for people, including those with disabilities, to access and move around inside buildings.

Planning seeks to guide the way our towns, cities and countryside develop. This includes the use of land & buildings, the appearance of buildings, landscaping considerations, highway access and the impact that the development will have on the general environment.

For many types of building work, separate permission under both regimes (separate processes) will be required. For other building work, such as internal alterations, Buildings Regulations approval will probably be needed, but Planning permission may not be. If you are in any doubt you should contact your Local Planning Authority or a Building Control Body.

Tel: 0845 869 6608 Mob: 07534 803120